A Night of Discovery
February 18, 2021
Lowell Observatory presents a Night of Discovery, commemorating the anniversary of Clyde Tombaugh’s discovery of the icy world Pluto on February 18, 1930. This is the keynote event of the 3rd Annual I Heart Pluto Festival.
Meet Eminent Scientists
Headlining this year’s event is a panel discussion (“Exploring the Universe Near and Far”) that looks at our human fascination with exploration and discovery, from nearby nooks on Earth to the far reaches of the universe. The panel includes:
- Dr. Donald Johanson, discoverer of the fossil hominid Lucy
- Dr. Alan Stern, Principal Investigator of the New Horizons mission to Pluto and beyond *Note: Dr. Stern will be joining the event virtually
- Dr, Nancy Currie-Gregg, astronaut who flew 4 times in space
- Dr. Cathy Olkin, Deputy Principal Investigator of the Lucy mission to study asteroids
- Alden Tombaugh, son of Pluto discoverer Clyde Tombaugh
- Dr. Jeffrey Hall, Lowell Observatory Director, will moderate the discussion
The program will be followed by a panelist book signing. Books by several of the panelists, as well as commemorative posters and other items to be signed, will be available for purchase onsite.
Explore Space Art Displays
The International Astronomical Artists Association (IAAA) will display a variety of space-themed art throughout the Orpheum. The IAAA consists of artists and scientists-artists who implement and participate in astronomical and space art projects.
Quench Your Thirst with Lowell Observatory Lager
Back by popular demand is a Pluto-themed beer created specially for this event by Mother Road Brewing Company, Arizona’s third largest independent craft brewer. This year’s beer is Lowell Observatory Lager! Other drinks—both alcoholic and non-alcoholic—as well as food will be available for purchase throughout the evening.
Why the Orpheum?
Why hold this event at the Orpheum Theatre? Because Clyde Tombaugh watched a movie here on the night of his great discovery in 1930. Plus, the Orpheum’s accessibility, comfort, and old-time charm, make it a perfect venue.
Tickets: Available at the door or in advance at https://wl.seetickets.us/event/A-NightofDiscovery/459232?afflky=OrpheumTheater. Cost is $10 per adult, $7 per youth ages 5-17 (plus tax and sales fee).